Wait! When Did That Happen?

Posted by E

Thursday, July 24, 2008

The arrival of a new Star Wars film in the theater is always a major event in my life, and the release of Revenge of the Sith in May of 2005 was no exception. In the context of my own life experience, the arrival of Episode 3 could be considered the most important and exciting cinematic event of my lifetime.

My whole life had been building up to the release of this film, beginning with the release of the original Star Wars in 1977. My entire childhood had been built around the mythology that these movies created. Even during the 16 year gap between trilogies, I could still be found watching the films, collecting the toys and reading the novels. Hell, when Episode 1 was released and I saw it for the first time, I cried when the opening music blasted and the text crawl began.

Yes, I really am that much of a geek.

Episode 3 was to be a milestone in my life, marking the end of the Star Wars series as a live action theatrical experience and finishing the story begun nearly thirty years previous. Not to mention the focus of this episode was to be the rise of the Empire and the fall of Anakin Skywalker. This would be the emergence of Darth Vader, quite possibly the coolest character ever created in any medium. In the space of two hours, George Lucas would present to us the final events that turned Anakin from the universe's whiniest bitch to the darkest force of evil ever known.

Within the first 24 hours of its release, I had managed 4 viewings of Revenge of the Sith. As is standard for me, I took everybody I knew to see the film, sometimes paying for both tickets. All of my friends wanted to see this movie with me, as they all know what the Star Wars universe means to me. (And it doesn't hurt seeing a movie like this with a walking encyclopedia to help explain everything that's happening.) One such pairing for this film was my sister and her husband, who joined me for a weekend matinee.

My sister has been exposed to the Star Wars films for the entire run of my life, more or less. I watched them obsessively as a child and could recite the scripts verbatim. I cannot count how many times she came to watch the television, only to have to deal with me geeking out for the umpteenth time.

But despite the endless barrage of movies, toys and discussions, she's never really figured out what the movies are all about. Yeah, she's seen them, but she never cared enough to fully digest them. Starting a discussion on the topic brings to the forefront almost immediately how little she's paid attention all these years. The final hour of Return of the Jedi, with its four plots intertwining has always remained a source of confusion for her.

I knew full well going into this viewing that she would not fully understand what was going on, but if nothing else the movie was exciting and had plenty of eye candy to stare at. But her complete lack of comprehension of the plot was fully divined to me as we left the theater and made our way back to the car.

Me: So, what did you think?

Her: Honestly, I really liked it. That's the first one of those movies that I truly enjoyed. I think I'll probably buy it when it comes out on DVD.

Me: Really? That's awesome! Yeah, I really liked it, too. It really tied everything together quite nicely.

Her: I do have one question, though.

Me: Okay, what's up?

Her: At the end, when Darth Vader got up off that table, he kind of wobbled when he walked. What was up with that?

Me: Well, he just had robotic legs put on. He wasn't used to walking on them yet.

Her: Robot legs? When did that happen?


Allow me to remind you of the ending of Revenge of the Sith. Anakin, having turned to the dark side and assuming the title of Darth Vader, was sent by the Emperor to Mustafar to eliminate the remaining separatists. He is followed there by Padme, who seeks to confront Anakin about his actions. Obi-Wan, unbeknownst to Padme, has sneaked aboard her ship. He appears during Padme and Anakin's discussion and in a blind rage Anakin attacks Padme. This quickly devolves into a confrontation between Anakin and Obi-Wan, followed by an extended lightsaber duel on the molten surface of Mustafar.

Obi-Wan emerges the victor in this battle after successfully liberating Anakin's left arm and both of his legs from his torso. Obi-Wan leaves the limbless form of Anakin to die on the surface, and as he leaves Anakin bursts into flame.

Anakin is rescued by the Emperor, who takes his charred body to a secret lab in order to have robotic limbs grafted to his body. Vader's transformation is completed when he is encased within his mask, making him more machine than man, completely dependent on his suit for survival. This entire scene is played out with a myriad of droids assembling his limbs and surgically attaching them to Anakin while he screams in agony.


Me: That's what that whole scene was! They were giving him new legs and arms since his had been cut off.

Her: Cut off? When did THAT happen?

Me: Are you serious? Obi-Wan sliced them off in their duel.

Her: I didn't notice that.

Me: DIDN'T NOTICE?!? You don't remember him writhing on the ground and screaming before catching on fire?

Her: No.


I was stunned. Absolutely flummoxed and flabbergasted. Like I said, I know she doesn't pay much attention to the films, but really, she didn't notice the fetishized closeups of his mangled frame rolling around while burning?

I found myself more amused, than anything. I have related this story many times over the years. I mentioned it to her yesterday and she didn't have any memory of that conversation. Too funny.

Since then, I have many times considered taking the same stance after a film, just to get a rise out of my fellow movie watchers.

"Yeah, Passion of the Christ was really good, but what I couldn't figure out was, why did he die at the end?"

"I really liked Pulp Fiction, but why was Marcellus Wallace going to have Zed killed?"

I guess some of us just watch movies differently.

5 comments:

Doodface said...

Haha that's awesome. I know that feeling. It reminds me of watching the movie Memento for the first time. Granted it IS a hard movie to follow..

I was watching it with my ex wife (see also; psycho hose beast) and a few of her friends. At the end of the movie, I just sat in sheer awe of this cinematic masterpiece. I immediately wanted to watch it again and again. As I am mentally fornicating the movie, the room breaks out in a series of "that was stupid" and "did anyone understand that?" and "what the fuck just happened?".

It was the first time I contemplated multiple murders.

E said...

Heh. There's nothing worse than sitting in a room and recognizing sheer brilliance while the rest of the dull-eyed bovines around you attempt to understand what it was about. Been there, done that.

Lara said...

Well, I knew that was coming. Nothing is sacred with you. I'm still SHOCKED after reading your last blog and finding out that Darth Vader DIES at the end of Return of the Jedi! Really?! I don't think that's in the version that I've seen a dozen or more times. I knew he wasn't feeling well, so he took off his mask. Then he took a nap or something. I seriously didn't know he was dead. I thought it was a happy ending with dancing teddy bears. I'm going to have to research that.

I actually DO sort of remember that conversation after Revenge of the Sith. I also remember you being quite disgusted with my lack of Star Wars knowledge. I remember the duel in the lava and remember Darth going down. I certainly don't recall him losing limbs. And there definitely wasn't a scene involving robotic limbs. I saw the helmet go on and then he screamed no or something. It all seems a little far fetched and unbelievable to me. It's not a true story, is it?

E said...

Of course it's a true story. It happened a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. heh

I was going to include embedded video of Vader writhing on fire without limbs and of the surgery afterward, but A) You can't watch video files and B) My internet was being all shitty yesterday.

Oh well.

Lara said...

Yeah, but you watch all the director's cuts and extended versions. That day, that showing, that scene was NOT included! I don't care WHAT you say. I did end up buying it on DVD, but obviously never got around to watching it again. Come over one weekend and force me to watch. I did actually like it, but MY version was much better than your violent one.