Zach Morris is the Anti-Christ!

Posted by Doodface

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

NO!!! Not our good-natured, mischievous, detention dweller from bayside high! How could I say such a thing?? Allow me to explain.

Zach Morris is just one of the characters that began the downfall of society. I am of course referring to the now commonplace “Stupid is Cool” school of thought. We started seeing it in the 80’s – the “cool” kids were the ones that failed classes, cheated on tests, cut school, and caused lots of trouble. The meathead jocks without a brain were included in this “elite” class, as well as the hot cheerleader blondes.

Society (especially young children) immediately followed this new classification of people. How is it that our society has willfully subscribed to such a ridiculous set of standards? Brainwashing.

We are constantly bombarded with media; whether it is Movies, TV, Music, Internet, cartoons, comic books, etc. The general rule for making a good, lovable character is to dumb him or her down. This lets the viewer feel superior to, and not threatened by this character. Even brilliant characters have to include aspects of mischief (such as Val Kilmer’s character from “Real Genius”). This need to make the characters approachable and funny has created 2 RULES FOR LIFE:

1. Stupid people that don’t care about school, work, or their future are cool, popular, funny and lovable.

2. An intelligent person that focuses on grades, their career or generally strives for achievement is a dork, and should be shunned.

This has turned our kids in to people that are ashamed of intelligence. Just think about that for a second. If you have a brain that functions on a higher level than the average (Americans have an average IQ of around 98 points), then you should be ASHAMED. You should hide this brilliance, and not put it to good use, or apply it to your studies or career. To do so, would make you a dork, and will assure that you never get laid.

Hip-hop culture has taken this concept to a new level. Such masters of the English language as Lil’ Jon and Soulja Boy are signs of just how low we have sunk. Using correct English makes you a nerd. Wearing clothes that fit makes you fag. Being intelligent? That shit will get you killed. And god forbid you’re black – because then you’re just “trying to act white”.

Now let’s suppose that you ignore the above RULES FOR LIFE. Just pretend that you don’t care what your classmates think about you. You determine that your brain is capable of comprehension beyond other people. You focus all of this new-found brainpower on studying, reading, learning and excelling. You may be considered an outcast in High School. There will be other outcasts that you can socialize with. It is a temporary inconvenience, so you work through it.

In college, you will notice that your focus on studies is more accepted (except for in the frat house), and that there are many more people with your same goals. You may even be able to get a like-minded girlfriend at this point!

After college, you will be able to get a good job (assuming you have chosen a good major). This means more money in your pocket, and the ability to buy nicer things (like a house and a car). You are most likely in your early to mid twenties now – with a career, house and a car. This is a very good place to be! If you apply yourself to your job, like you have to school, chances are you will move up, and make MORE money.

The “Cool” kids at school who focused more on being funny than making good grades are most likely living with their parents, working at Best Buy.

Now which of these 2 scenarios sounds more desirable? How about more desirable to the opposite sex? Let’s continue..

Continuing down your enlightened path, you will probably find a good spouse, and lead a comfortable life. You will probably have saved enough and invested enough that you will have the option to retire early.
You can now live the rest of your life in rest and luxury.

The “cool” kid may have eventually found a job in sales or real estate, but most likely stayed in some dead-end job. He will live check-to-check his whole life, and probably “retire” when he dies or just can’t handle it anymore.

All so he could hang out with the cheerleaders 50 years ago.
I wish that I could say I knew this in my school years. I wish that I could show you my degrees and my 4.0 GPA’s. I can’t. I too fell victim to this cancer on society - although not nearly as bad as some. Even though it was discovered at a very young age that I had a genius IQ, at around 9th grade, I stopped caring. I wanted to be one of the cool kids.. I got my GED at 17, and went to community college for a few semesters, but then dropped out.

Luckily, I stumbled in to a tech support job, and started my technical career at 18. Due to this stroke of luck, I have been able to undo a lot of my teenage mistakes. I am in my late twenties now, and again working on getting my degree. However, I can’t help but wonder where I would be right now if Zach Morris hadn’t planted his set of ideals in my brain at a young age.

Nazis, KKK, Religious Fanaticism, Genocide, Terrorism, and Saved By the Bell – Human Atrocities that forever have, and will continue to, destroy society.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dead on....

Anonymous said...

This is so true!

Anonymous said...

Bang to rights!!!!!!!! spelling is a dead art.... thank you for slowly regaining my faith in the human race!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Another thought . . .

I did do well in high school with a 4.0 GPA and a member of KAPPA, BETA, and NHS. I fell in love and got married before finishing college. Had two wonderful children (quit college with two years to go). I now sit in a dead-end job. Making decent money but living check-to-check.

Doodface said...

My post wasn't a statement that: Hard work + Degree = guaranteed success.. But more of a statement that Lazyness + Terrible grades = probable failure. Even more than that, it is just my comments on how backwards society has become, where mediocrity and ambivalence are praised.

E said...

I'm gonna base your ass on my fist. In your face, ass! Shut up!

Doodface said...

GO AWAY!!!! Batin'!!!

Anonymous said...

A.C. Slater for president!