Know when to hold'em, know when to fold'em ..know when to call in a favor

Posted by Arbitrage

Friday, August 29, 2008

Back in the day I was the master. A true undefeated champ. Accumulating an approximate record of 1,119 -0. At what you may ask? At hopping the train.

Truth be told it wasn't "hopping" more like "sliding". The turn styles could be pulled back a half of turn which would allow you to slide through without paying. I wasn't just good at it, I perfected it with execution that made marta police pause. I did it for years often times looking directly at the marta police, but not with a flamboyant in your face attitude, more like a calm confidence.
Headphones on, never breaking my linear stride, with a look that goes to you and through you within a mili-second. The bodily conversation between the cop and I usually goes like this "you don't know what the hell I just did, but you know I got you"; and if I did what you think I just did you won't say anything because I was just that cool at doing it. This went on a couple times a day for about 3 years.

In comes the Olympic preparation and with it a changing of the guard. The climate around the train station changed. I saw more police, cameras, people in cuffs etc... all because of the upcoming olympics in a little while. Beefy would be an understatement. Even the personnel had changed, it wasn't the everyday type security I was used to seeing. No biggie, I approximate I got about 2 dimes in free rides over the years so the game is up--I fold, no stress. I made a conscience decision to not hop anymore.

Well one day about a week later I'm getting out of class as I'm done for the day. It's getting late and I'm ready to roll out. I'm walking down the steps to the street, dig in my pocket and realize I have 15 cent to my fucking name....Shit. This is before cell phones , it's a 2 hour walk to Tech where I could hook up with some friends, I could call someone collect....etc... all just an inconvenience..... I can't hop because there is doubt in my mind, so I would surely get caught.

Time to call on an old friend for a favor...my great grandmother. I barely knew her. I remember her being a stern old lady who didn't take any shit as she smoked her Moore cigs, but we have a bond. When I was very young she had a stroke in front of me and my grandmother. Drooling at the mouth, she got up to go to the bathroom, took 2 steps and fell to the ground. Well, my grandmother freaks out asking her "what is wrong?" "Ma, what is wrong?"over and over again. I didn't know what was wrong but I knew shit wasn't right, so I run upstairs and call 911. Told the operator ..yeah I'm young but this shit is real and I need an ambulance.. I give the street, the phone number..etc... told her to hold....I then go to my grandmother and say look I got 911 on the phone talk to them..
Mean while console my great grandmother telling her everything will be all right...
Well she died as result not long after that, but the generational gap had been bridged and then some.

So there I am broke as hell, Mr All time train hopper who can't hop the fucking train when I really need it. As much as I tried to talk myself into it, I knew the execution wouldn't be there because I was thinking to much.

Time to dial my old friend for a favor....... I reach out .. Hey I need you on this one...thinking about hopping but I have bad vibes so I know I'll get caught. She says...just walk to the station like you always do. Ummmm ok, but I have 15 cent I can't even make a call at the station...
She says... just walk to the station, the same path you always take.....
Ummmm ok, but I ain't hoppin....
Just go to the damn station boy...
Umm ok...
I continue to walk and about 6 steps later 2 dollar bills blow right up on my leg.... I pick them up never breaking my linear stride ...


No post is not complete without the real deal.. so here you go .. TPO chart of ES .. notice the big area of equilibrium at the bottom in which I merged the 8/25 and 8/26. The breakout on 8/27 good for 6 points for me.

0 comments: